Wednesday, September 10, 2008

NO SEPTEMBER CROSS IN IOWA? WHAT A SHAME!

What looked to be a great schedule in September to start out the season, will not happen. At least in Iowa! Two weekends of racing that were on the bike Iowa calendar all year, then "poof" gone! I can't complain that much. I rarely volunteer, and putting on a total race is way out of my league. But it is still sad. The entire state of Iowa and no cross to start the season. Where the Chicago series, and the Wisconsin series are adding races, Iowa is taking 2 steps back.
Instead, team Izzy starts the season out in downtown Chicago, followed by the next weekend in Madison, WI. Road trippin is cool, and hanging with friends and family is the main reason I race. But gas, food, lodging all take away from entry fees. Sure would like to have a healthy mix of racing with a local flavor to it. Last season was great, and I made it to almost all the Iowa series races. The vibe at the races was great, and I guess that it was wishful thinking that it would carry over to this year. No Sept. races in Iowa kills the buzz!
I want to end this downer post by saying that I still applaud the efforts of DICE and the Cross Mafia and all who help put on those races. Whatever races you guys pull together this year, I'll be there! I may not be the best volunteer, but I will support all you do by showing up and telling others to do the same! Ty

No comments: