Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Pre-Season Greg Pace Test - FAILED

Sometimes as a rider you go through the motions of what you think is getting you into race shape. Then there is that group ride or race that brings out the truth. Yes compared to your co-workers, you are in great shape. You are way above the national average, and your BMI is within the limits. But you know come the weekend, surrounded by a couple dozen like minded bike geeks, that just being in shape is not going to cut it.
After several weeks of what I thought was hard training, Greg Harper and me joined up before work today. We hit the trails, and quickly I was getting popped off his back wheel. Yes he's the "Harpernator" and this is to be expected, but it happened early and often. The biggest disappointment, was my lack of huevoes on the down hills. I got gaped any time the trail had a downward grade. I would fight back to catch his wheel, only to pop next down hill. Then it started on the up hills. Then the flats. Then it was just time to cool down, and hope I didn't get dropped doing that! Approx 4 weeks to the first cross races of the year. Got some more work to do, not just go through the motions! Ty

No comments: